Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I don’t know why I love you like I do?

Next time you head to Thailand do yourself a favour and hit the road to Ayutthaya, the countries ancient capital, which is around two hours north of Bangkok.

Getting there is fairly easy. Trains run regularly, there are buses and, I believe, it can be done by boat, although that is a fairly expensive option.

I decided get an early start and get the train. It takes between an hour and a half and two hours depending which train you get and I’d decided to treat myself to the air-conditioned comfort of first class getting up there. There was even free water and a bun!
On arriving in Ayutthaya a quick perusal of the map at the station sorted our route out. I’d reckoned that it should take no more than six hours to see all that I wanted to. I had no intention of getting templed out on a one day trip.

Getting transport was easy as tuk-tuk drivers are plentiful and speak good English. I agreed a rate of 200 baht an hour, with the six hour free! I’m sure it was too much, but I had the tuk-tuk to myself and we would be moving at my pace and in the order I wanted.

The kingdom of Ayutthaya existed between 1350 and 1767 A.D. AFor much of this time it was a dominant power in the region and historically holds a strong place in Thai’s hearts. During this dynasty the Burmese are reported to have attacked and sacked much of the kingdom, including the capital.
My guide, a quiet woman, prone to giving money to small children, told gleefully of songs, still sung today, about defeating the Burmese. Passionately she articulated the anger felt, still, at what the Burmese had done in Thailand.

The temples, of which there are many, were surrounded by jungle and many remained undiscovered by the Burmese. Those they did come across were destroyed.

Many of those mostly intact are impressive. It helped that the day was clear, the sky blue and the sun warm. The architecture is impressive and while it isn’t Siem Reap, it has a charm that reflects that of the Thais themselves.
In retrospect I’d have probably overnighted there as the place does have a calmness not found in Bangkok, although to be brutally honest I don’t think there is much to do other than the temples. After speaking to a few people the accommodation also seems a wee bit lacking, but the place does have a good feel to it.

One warning, the trains back to Bangkok are NEVER on time. I ended waiting two hours. One did turn up but was so packed, due to the backlog, and I physically couldn’t get on. People were literally hanging off it.
Eventually on the next one I managed to find a non air-conditioned carriage, with hard seat, for the trip back.

The trip had been worth it for the views alone and I’m sure next time I’ll go back and spend a bit more time exploring.

It appears an almost forgotten destination amongst the excitement of Bangkok, the beaches of the Islands and the jungle beauty of trekking destinations.
A Singaporean mate, a resident of Bangkok, summed it up best.

“I've not been there although its only 2 hours drive from my place. We’ve never really thought of going there."

Don’t make that mistake.

Cheers,

Blocka

No comments:

Post a Comment